Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cure-All Ramen Noodle Soup

If you glance at the time stamp of this post, you will notice that I am writing at a rather late hour. Couldn't sleep. I'm having one of those evenings where, I woke up today feeling fine, but now I could beat my grandma in an aches-and-pains-off. And she takes those seriously (as in, once she nearly convinced me she was dying when actually she just pulled a leg muscle. So dramatic!)

Anyway. I was going to have the last piece of pie in the fridge (don't judge me) but instead settled on a recent recipe I think I invented. It miraculously made me feel better last time this happened. And it's quick and easy, because it's made with something any former college student might never want to see again: Ramen noodles.

Yes, using Oriental-flavored Ramen and some add-ins I made a wonderfully spicy, warming soup to comfort the achy-ness before bed. They're too hot to eat right this second - which is good, because otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. A girl's gotta have her priorities.

So, the recipe:

1. Set almost 2 cups of water to boil.
2. Meanwhile, gather rice vinegar (mine is infused with roasted garlic), sriracha sauce, and honey.
3. Crush your Ramen in the package.
4. When the water's boiling - well, you probably know what to do. Boil half the noodles (that's one serving according to the package, and plenty for this soup) for three minutes.
5. Once the noodles are done, add half the seasoning packet and stir. From here on out, it's a matter of personal preference. I add a generous splash of rice vinegar, a slightly lesser amount of sriracha, and about two teaspoons of honey.
6. Stir well, transfer to a cute oversized mug if you're in that kind of mood, and enjoy!

*I should note that this is a soup for the brave of palate. Sriracha is spicy, and with the vinegar and salt from the seasonings, you've got a hot dish on your hands here. If spicy isn't usually your cup of tea, go easy on the seasonings, or maybe skip the sriracha altogether.

No comments: