Monday, July 18, 2011

My Jewelry and My Wardrobe: Refusing to Play Nicely with One Another

Today, I was looking through my jewelry collection, primarily because I found a long-lost earring and wanted to reunite it with its mate. As I was examining my  jewelry, I realized something: my accessories do not go with my clothes. Like, at all.

Being a great jewelry lover, I find ways to wear all my stuff anyway, but it requires extensive thought and serious effort. Some days, I get up and think "Hmm, I'd like to wear that chunky brass-toned PVC necklace today. How can I make that happen?" Usually, this involves looking at a closet full of clothes and marveling at how NONE of them seem to really complement this goshdarned necklace. Eventually, I'll settle on an outfit that looks something like this, then add the jewelry in question:

70s jeans and tee outfit

[Imagine this with a black cardigan on top and you have the fall/winter outfit when I have this problem.] 

This looks fine with a chunky necklace - it's simple and doesn't clash. How can it? It's all neutral. But it's certainly not the sort of coordinated, stylish outfit I was thinking of when I wanted to wear the necklace in the first place. I aspire to something more like these outfits the lovely ladies behind Alterations Needed and Extra Petite put together with their statement pieces, here and here, where the jewelry mirrors other colors and textures in the outfit (instead of my typical I'm-just-wearing-jeans-and-a-tee-nothing-to-see-here-oh-wait-NECKLACE look.)

I have identified a four-part strategy to begin tackling my accessorizing conundrum. First, I need to pare down  my jewelry collection. I have a lot of nice jewelry, but if I'm not wearing it, there's no point having it around, hiding the stuff I do wear. I'll see if my Mom wants anything that needs a new home. If not, I'll sell it.

Second, I should organize it so I can see it. I'm a very visual person; if I don't see the item or a reminder thereof, it's not there. I recently purchased a hanging jewelry organizer from the Container Store, so that might help.

Third, I need to spend time thinking about deliberately incorporating my accessory collection into my daily attire. I've never been good at laying out my clothes the night before, but I'm interested in Sal of Already Pretty's outfit list method, so perhaps I'll try that.

Fourth, if I'm going to buy or make jewelry, it needs to coordinate with my wardrobe. This mental dialogue: "Ooh, pretty. What a lovely [insert jewelry item here]. I like the color/length/shape/craftsmanship/price. I'll take it!" needs to become "Ooh, pretty. I appreciate the color/style/whatever - but does it go with my clothes? The colors, the necklines? Can I think of several outfits it would enhance? Yes, yes and yes? Okay, now I'll take it." Otherwise, I'll just have a pile of lovely but [for me] unwearable jewelry. So sad.

So: pare down, organize, incorporate, and limit new purchases. That's the plan.

Does anyone else have this problem with accessories?

1 comment:

Carole said...

Hmmm. Reading this, I don't think anyone would get that you make most of your own jewelry. This is why I sell most of the jewelry I make. I love it, I make it, but it doesn't go with any of my clothes. But inevitably it goes with someone else's clothes, and they're happy to have it.